Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Stay safe on the roads this harvest season

It’s that time of year again. The temperatures are cooling off, leaves are turning and the school year is in full swing. You may also have noticed more farm equipment on the roads lately. These farmers are moving equipment from field to field trying to get the crop in, whether that crop be corn, soybeans or something else.


Yes, it can be frustrating to have to slow down if you get behind a piece of farm equipment, but just remind yourself it won’t take that much longer. Most importantly, be careful. I can’t stress this enough. My farming friends and family have told me countless stories about vehicles almost hitting them, trying to run them off the road or just being reckless while they were taking the tractor the short distance to the next field. And unfortunately, a car did hit and kill my friend Wesley while he was driving his tractor and hay equipment from one field to the next. Not a fun or pleasant experience for anyone. It’s not worth causing an accident, so please slow down and be careful when passing farm equipment.


Since most farm equipment travels on rural roads, take a moment to enjoy the view of the countryside. I always love fall since the changing of seasons creates some picturesque scenery.  Better yet, allow a few extra minutes so you aren't rushed. I’m always less stressed when I give myself more than enough time to get where I’m going and since I’m in a better mood, can enjoy the lovely scenery. That’s a win-win.



Farmers certainly appreciate your patience on the roads during harvest season.

A neat picture of harvest I found on the John Deere Facebook page
If you've ever wondered what exactly is growing in that field near you, ask! Farmers are more than happy to explain what they are doing and help you understand how food is produced. In fact, a lot of farmers are active on social media. 



On your way home tonight, don’t forget to pick up a gallon of milk and some steaks. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment